Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cirque de Chien



September 18-26, 2010

THE WISEST DOGS IN THE WORLD!!!

WILL COMPETE IN

THE MOST INTELLIGENT

DIFFICULT

GENTLE

TEST OF HUMAN/DOG COMMUNICATION EVER DEVISED!!!

The National Finals Sheepdog Trials

BELLE GROVE PLANTATION. MIDDLETOWN VIRGINIA

http://www.nationalsheepdogfinals.com/

From the intersection of I-66 and I-81, take I-81 2 miles north to exit 302. Left toward Middletown. Left on US 11 through Middletown. 1 mile south to Belle Grove.

Adults: $12

Season: Adults: $60, Kids $30

Kids 6-12: $6

Under 6 : FREE

* * *

I'll be there Saturday and Sunday. Look for the broad with the camera, Amish boy's straw hat, and one or two dogs who look just like border collies but aren't. (Still negotiating with PC over who is coming on this trip.)


If you live in the Mid-Atlantic and enjoy feeling awed and humbled by dog and (wo)man working together to perform the impossible, do not miss these finals. They won't be back on the East coast for the foreseeable future.


My favorite thing about sheepdog trials: Your mannerly dog is welcome to spectate. Your boorish untrained or overly-excitable pet is not. You are assumed to know the difference until you prove otherwise. Don't embarrass yourself.


If you cannot come in person, try the webcast. It will run Saturday and Sunday; register early so you don't miss anything while working out technical kinks.


3 comments:

  1. I'll be there Sunday! I'll have on a dark red Oberlin baseball type hat, much worse for wear. Probably other clothese too -- no telling.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could make it this time. I went to spectate in the late 90s when it was at Belle Grove (with my dog, Bill). It is such a beautiful setting for a spectacular event. We had a fabulous time. Have fun! I can't wait to read about your experience.

    Mary O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy it, both of you! I will be watching the web version, sadly.

    Along with my couch potato herding dogs who LOVE to watch dogs chasing things on TV - they should love this!

    ReplyDelete

I've enabled the comments for all users; if you are posting as "anonymous" you MUST sign your comment. Anonymous unsigned comments will be deleted. Trolls, spammers, and litigants will be shot.